Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Stories from the Barbie Barn


Now to tell you a little bit about how I will conduct this blog.  I love to write stories and poetry, so that will be one element of this site, with the goal being to entertain little girls.  My mother taught me to be creative at a very young age, and she also taught my children, and children’s children how to “pretend play.”  She was a child of the Great Depression, and toys were few and far between.  What a great blessing that was, because she developed, along with her siblings, a great imagination, often making dolls out of things from her environment.  I can remember many Barbie doll dresses she made my one and only childhood Barbie on her sewing machine.  
The rich play life which she taught all us girls is why my head is so full of “Barbie stories. “ The way I will write my Barbie Stories is by using the many 36 inch “life size Barbies I have collected and designed wardrobes for before they took up residence in the Barbie Barn, and assign them a character as one of my eight grand-daughters, and my grand-nieces.  These cousins have such great fun together.  I will be assigning them all to the same age of freshmen in high school.  (This of course is because of the dolls themselves all looking the same age. )   

I have had such great fun dying their hair the appropriate color, doing what we doll enthusiasts call  making an OOAK (one of a kind)  by eye painting to reflect their individual looks and personality, and making clothing that reflects their personalities as well.


The first Barbie I am presenting is Gabby, after my grand-daughter Gabrielle, who is extremely talented and artistic.  She too has a wonderful artistic personality.   I will introduce a doll each day, along with her bio.  There will also be a version of each girl in the traditional size dolls, along with my grand-sons  Tristen, Michael and Maddox being represented in this category as Soldiers.  


No comments:

Post a Comment